Top Wedding SongsMay 10, 2012
Swedish online music behemoth Spotify has released the 20 most popular wedding songs, based on 78,000 wedding playlists. Whilst many usual suspects, bearing more than just a whiff of cheddar about them, are present as expected, there are some surprise inclusions and a couple which are simply baffling.
‘I’ve Had The Time Of My Life’ won’t raise any eyebrows, coming in at 20, whilst country music enthusiast and blonde immortal Dolly Parton makes number 19 on the list with her hit ‘9 To 5’, which, quite frankly, makes no sense.
Classic Proclaimers tune ‘I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)’ takes 17th place, and it does have a romantic tone to be found hidden underneath all that Scottish stomp.
Take That, Beyoncé, Stevie Wonder and Jackson 5 all find themselves filling places before we get to the serious business of the Top 10. Once we reach this haven of marital music, we find some old classics and modern greats, mixed with some other… erm… songs.
The insanely popular Adele gets 10th place with ‘Make You Feel My Love’, whilst, confusingly, OutKast’s catchy hit ‘Hey Ya!’ is at number 9. But not the original; the version of choice is the Radio Mix/Club Mix, whatever that is actually supposed to mean. Billy Idol’s ‘White Wedding’ makes a predictable, but welcome, entry at 8.
Quite what ‘Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)’, by songwriting genius Beyoncé Knowles-Z, is doing on there at 7 is anyone’s guess. Surely this song is about retrospectively criticising a man’s choice to decline proposing marriage, but the sprawling, cryptic lyrics could be open to interpretation.
Journey crash in at number 6 with their power pop smash-hit and office favourite ‘Don’t Stop Believing’, and Sweden’s own ABBA make 5th place with ’Dancing Queen’.
Stevie makes another appearance, this time at number 4, with ‘Superstition’, whilst synth/rock outfit The Killers make 3 with ‘Mr. Brightside’, which seems to pretty much make every favourite tunes list ever.
The Kings of Leon get 2nd place with their stadium rock anthem ‘Sex On Fire’, and, in at number 1, are The Black Eyed Peas with ‘I Gotta Feeling’. Certainly a shock winner, but there’s no accounting for taste.
Here is the list in full:
20. Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes – (I’ve Had) The Time of My Life
19. Dolly Parton – 9 To 5
18. Barry White – You’re The First, The Last, My Everything
17. The Proclaimers – I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)
16. Take That – Greatest Day
15. Al Green – Let’s Stay Together
14. Beyoncé – Crazy In Love feat. Jay-Z
13. Jackson 5 – Blame It On The Boogie
12. Stevie Wonder – Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I’m Yours)
11. Jason Mraz – I’m Yours
10. Adele – Make You Feel My Love
9. OutKast – Hey Ya! – Radio Mix/Club Mix
8. Billy Idol – White Wedding
7. Beyoncé – Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)
6. Journey – Don’t Stop Believing
5. ABBA – Dancing Queen
4. Stevie Wonder – Superstition
3. The Killers – Mr Brightside
2. Kings of Leon – Sex On Fire
1. The Black Eyed Peas – I Gotta Feeling
What do you think of this top 20 wedding songs? Let us know what your top wedding songs are in the comments below.